Information for leavers
Extended access to Email, Journals, Datastore and Mailing lists:
Email & journals: The University Computing Service will only provide access to network resources for current students, faculty and staff of the University, and official academic visitors. Academic visitors must be demonstrably working within the laboratory, and be pre-registered with UCS. UCS cannot grant extended access to anyone whose contract has finished but who still has some work to do to complete papers etc - this is forbidden by journal subscription terms.
Datastore & mailing list: With written (email) consent from your Group Leader, we can provide extended access to the Datastore for an agreed, fixed period, and maintain your Group mailing list membership.
Before your email account is disabled:
Steps to take (at least one month before leaving):
1) If you've only ever used the Hermes Webmail interface (so all of your mail resides on the Hermes servers), you should configure a 'POP' mail program on your own computer to download the entire archive, then transfer it to your preferred portable medium.
2) If you don't have a 'private' email address (Gmail/Hotmail/etc), sign up for one as soon as you can, even if you've been provided with a new address from your next place of work.
3) Set up redirection of your Hermes email to your preferred alternative email address, and reply to any correspondence from that address, including an instruction to use the address for all future messages
4) Set up the Hermes Vacation Message with subject: "Autoresponse - please note my new address"
5) While you continue to send messages from your Hermes account, add a line to your signature instructing recipients to update their address books.
6) Go to http://www.lookup.cam.ac.uk, and click on 'Your page', and then Edit. Scroll to the bottom of the page and, in the row labelled 'Leaving email address', Add your alternate email address to the Value field, and ensure its Visibility (right-hand column) is set to Private.
The Computing Service Accounts page has further useful information specific to Staff and Students.
Data protection statement
Please be aware that contact information you provide on this form will be kept in the Gurdon Institute’s password-protected Communications Database. We will use the information for a range of purposes, which may in future include emailing you Institute newsletters (envisaged as two or three times per year) or posting you copies of our annual Prospectus. We will also combine anonymised data such as alumni work roles and locations for statistics at Institute level.
- After leaving, please use the Alumni update form to let us know of any further updates and changes to your role or address.
- We will NOT pass your contact data to third parties.
- To unsubscribe from ALL of our communications materials please insert UNSUBSCRIBE in the same box with your Forwarding address, below.
- If you have any questions about our data protection statement please email the Information and Communications Officer.
Finally: we would like to include short details of your next role in our internal newsletter, news@Gurdon, from July 2016. If you prefer NOT to share that information with the wider Gurdon Institute staff, please let the Information and Communications Officer know.